Ep. 15: Vicko Alvarez, creator of ScholaR Comics
- Vicko Alvarez is the creator of ScholaR Comics and CholActivist—two comics projects inspired by Vicko’s life, Latina activism and chola culture. Born and raised in Dallas, Texas and currently living on the south side of Chicago, Vicko is one of five children born to working class immigrant parents. The stories told in ScholaR Comics reflect a clashing of cultures and generations. The comics use lighthearted, sometimes humorous events to tell otherwise tough stories of growing up Latina in a low-income neighborhood. ScholaR Comics’ main character is ScholaR, who is raised by the same hood, attended the same low-performing schools, and witnesses the same street brawls as everyone else. ScholaR’s a huge nerd though. ScholaR is a bookworm who cares about her hood. She cares about her classmates and she cares about her family. She knows her parents struggle to make ends meet and she knows her streets aren’t always safe for playing. What she doesn’t know is why. Vicko is here today to talk about comic, education, social justice activism, and how she uses all three to imagine otherwise.
Links to Projects, People, and Resources Discussed:
- Vicko’s series ScholaR Comics
- Vicko’s CholActivist work
- Vicko at the upcoming Latino Comics Expo: Aug 6-7, 2016
- Vicko’s work in the Artists Assemble! Empowerment and Inspiration in Contemporary Comics exhibition at the Museum of Latin American Art
- Not 1 More Deportation campaign
About Imagine Otherwise:
Imagine Otherwise is a podcast about the people and projects bridging art, activism, and academia to build better worlds. Episodes offer in-depth interviews with creators who use culture for social justice, and explore the nitty-gritty work of imagining and creating more just worlds. Check out full podcast episodes and show notes at ideasonfire.net/episodes. Imagine Otherwise is produced by Ideas on Fire, an academic editing and consulting agency helping progressive, interdisciplinary scholars write and publish awesome texts, enliven public conversations, and create more just worlds.