Professor and artist Shaka McGlotten talks about the erotic relationship we often have to the things that we study as well as how that always necessitates both desire and loss, how students can harness the power of Afrofuturism and speculation to combat white supremacy and climate change, and how queer and trans communities of color can use voguing, drag, and what Shaka calls "Black Data" to imagine and create new worlds.Read More
Best Podcasts for Interdisciplinary Academics
Whether you’re new to podcasts, or are a seasoned podcast listener, finding great podcasts can sometimes be challenging. Ideas on Fire has you covered. Below is a list of awesome podcasts for social justice-oriented
- This is our podcast so we’re obviously fans. Episodes feature people and projects bridging art, activism, and academia in the service of social justice.
- 99% Invisible is about all the thought that goes into the things we don’t think about — the unnoticed architecture and design that shape our world.
- Ben Franklin’s World is a podcast about early American history. It is a show for people who love history and for those who want to know more about the historical people and events that have impacted and shaped our present-day world.
- Invisibilia is Latin for “the invisible things.” We explore the invisible forces that shape human behavior — things like ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotion.
- Bitch Media publish a new feminist podcast episode every week. Our hour-long show Popaganda digs deep on movies, books, TV, and media while Backtalk is a snappy conversation between two Bitch editors about the week’s pop culture.
- A podcast about language and etymology by Helen Zaltzman
- Dr. Kaila Story and Jaison Gardner host this weekly podcast of musings on politics, pop culture and black gay life.
- Every week Homoground produces & distributes an audio podcast featuring music by queer & allied musicians. The podcast was created to bring exposure & access to queer bands, especially to those who live in isolated communities.
- Distillations explores the human stories behind science and technology, tracing a path through history in order to better understand the present. Each month we explore stories from the intersection of science, culture, and history.
- A podcast exclusively devoted to women and gender non-conforming writers and their careers. In each episode, co-hosts Lux Alptraum and Leigh Stein tackle the essential questions of making it as a writer.
- Fresh Air with Terry Gross is the Peabody Award-winning weekday magazine of contemporary arts and issues.
If you liked this post, check out:
- The Imagine Otherwise podcast
- Our Favorite Podcasts at Ideas on Fire
- How to Be a Great Podcast Guest