Freelance academic copyeditors
Grow your academic copyediting career with Ideas on Fire
We are looking for social justice-oriented copyeditors with a minimum of 2 years professional experience copyediting academic books, journal articles, and/or book proposals in the interdisciplinary humanities and social sciences (see our portfolio for the types of projects we work on).
Ideas on Fire copyeditors are responsible for ensuring manuscripts have correct and consistent grammar, spelling, formatting, and punctuation; strong and logical sentence structure; consistent terminology, abbreviations, and definitions; and accurate citation formatting for in-text citations, footnotes/endnotes, and bibliographies.
Further, our copyeditors ensure manuscripts adhere to specific US publishers’ and universities’ formatting requirements and best reflect the power of interdisciplinary scholarship today.
- You are committed to interdisciplinary, social justice-oriented work and want to help our clients build more just worlds.
- You have a minimum of 2 years professional experience copyediting academic books, journal articles, and/or book proposals in the interdisciplinary humanities and social sciences. You may run your own editing company, be a freelancer working directly with authors or publishers, or have worked in-house at an academic press.
- You love a good style sheet! You’re also experienced with setting them up and using them.
- You are comfortable working on multiple concurrent projects in a fast-paced work environment.
- You are professional, organized, and thorough. You always meet deadlines.
- You love getting detailed feedback on your work and are eager to make adjustments based on that feedback.
- You have fantastic US English writing and oral communication skills.
- You are deeply familiar with and keep up with the regular changes to academic style manuals such as CMOS, APA, and MLA.
- You work well independently; go out of your way to learn new tools and systems; research solutions when faced with unknowns; and structure your time, tools, and communication practices to ensure you do your best work.
- You have your own computer, Microsoft Word 2010 or later, and regular and reliable internet access.
- You’ll copyedit interdisciplinary academic books, journal articles, book proposals, and the occasional dissertation (carefully adhering to academic integrity requirements).
- For each manuscript, you’ll provide page-by-page, in-text edits using Track Changes in Microsoft Word and fill in the accompanying style sheet.
- You’ll ensure your copyedits fully address the project brief provided to you at the beginning of each project.
- The vast majority of the time, you’ll be the primary editor on a manuscript but occasionally you’ll be one of several editors providing different services on the same manuscript.
- You’ll add additional edits based on feedback to ensure copyedits are comprehensive and complete before manuscripts are returned to clients.
This is an independent contractor position and you can work remotely from wherever you are.
IoF has always been a fully remote company and we stay connected with digital tools like Slack, Zoom, and Notion.
You’ll use your own copies of Microsoft Word 2010 or later and Adobe Reader or Apple Preview.
Additionally our team uses Google Drive, Slack, Zoom, and Notion for project management and communication.
Pay is per word and based on turn-around time.
IoF editors are pitched specific projects based on their editing skills, subject matter expertise, and availability. Each pitch includes all project logistics so you can decide whether you want to accept the project.