Philadelphia Poet Laureate Yolanda Wisher discusses how poetry can be a community engagement practice; blending academic, artistic, and activist experiences in one's everyday work; and how building a world where everyone is able to find and utilize their gifts is key to her way of imagining otherwise.Continue Reading
Imagine Otherwise: Sarah Sawyers-Lovett on Queer Southern Memoir & How Zines Can Save Queer and Trans* Kids’ Lives
Guest: Sarah Sawyers-Lovett
- Sarah is a writer, bookseller, and co-host of two podcasts: Queering the Shelves and Book Jawn. She lives in Philadelphia with her wife and their hedgehog. Sometimes she writes zines and blogs, and occasionally people pay her to make balloon animals. In her spare time, she enjoys pickles, punks, and coffee. Sarah is the author of the memoir Everybody Else’s Girl, a tale of abuse and red-hot pain, of growing up and hard beat-downs growing up queer in the US south. Sarah is also the author of a brand new book called Retrospect: A Tazewell’s Favorite Eccentric Zinethology, published by Mend My Dress Press. Retrospect brings together selections from Sarah’s long-running zine to explore growing up poor, queer, and lonely in a conservative small town in Virginia, building and losing communities and friendships, loss, abusive relationships, balloon artistry, and finding hope and love.
Links to projects, people, and resources discussed:
- Sarah’s book Retrospect: A Tazewell’s Favorite Eccentric Zinethology
- Sarah’s book Everybody Else’s Girl
- Sarah’s blog, punkjoanofarc.com
- Sarah and Ryan’s podcast Queering the Shelves
- Sarah and Grace Gordon’s podcast Book Jawn
- Amber Hollibaugh’s book My Dangerous Desires: A Queer Girl Dreaming Her Way Home
- Dorothy Allison, queer feminist author
About Imagine Otherwise:
Imagine Otherwise is a podcast about the people and projects bridging art, activism, and academia to build better worlds. Episodes offer in-depth interviews with creators who use culture for social justice, and explore the nitty-gritty work of imagining and creating more just worlds. Check out full podcast episodes and show notes at ideasonfire.net/episodes. Imagine Otherwise is produced by Ideas on Fire, an academic editing and consulting agency helping progressive, interdisciplinary scholars write and publish awesome texts, enliven public conversations, and create more just worlds.